Classification Of Room Heaters
Table of Important Contents
- 1 Infrared Type Room Heaters
- 2 Convection (Blower / Fan) Type Room Heaters
- 3 Oil Filled Room Heaters
- 4 Room Heater Wattage Size Calculation
- 5 Orpat OEH-1220 2000-Watt Fan Heater – Best Seller
- 6 Havells OFR – 13Fin 2900-Watt PTC Fan Heater – (Recommended)
- 7 Usha Oil Filled Radiator (3209) 2000-Watt with Over Heating Protection
- 8 Xtreme Infrared Electric Room Heater 1800W wall or ceiling mount – (Highly Recommended)
- 9 Bajaj Blow Hot 2000-Watt Room Heater
- 10 Usha Quartz Room Heater (3002) 800-Watt with Overheating Protection
Infrared Type Room HeatersInfrared type of air Heaters directly heat the objects without using or heating air, the same way as the sun does. The objects would absorb energy released by Infrared rays and the reflect the energy to the surroundings. This process continues until an equilibrium level or consistent temperature is achieved. Since heat is absorbed by the objects directly without loss of energy, infrared heaters are more energy efficient. Infrared Heaters are normally installed on the ceiling so that the rays coming out of heaters directly reach the floor & get absorbed by it. After reflection from the floor, heat moves upward as hot air is lighter than cold air. Since all the objects lying in the room would receive the infrared rays and reflect them, the whole room becomes warm very easily. If Room Heater of proper size has been selected, It won’t take more than 10 to 15 minutes to warm up the room.
Convection (Blower / Fan) Type Room HeatersThe Bowler or Fan type convectors have a metallic element which quickly heats up. The air discharged by the blower and coming in contact with the element, become hot. The warm air then circulates through the grill of convector. Hot air being lighter would move upward and cool air will come down to take its place. This loop of air circulation will continue. Since objects do not become hot directly, there may be a temperature difference between them. As hot air rises up, the temperature near the floor will be less. The low temperature near the floor causes an unpleasant feeling known as “Cold-Leg”. Due to this, people would often increase the temperature setting of the heater and which in turn would lead to more electricity consumption and an increase in electricity bills.
Oil Filled Room HeatersIn oil-filled Heaters, an electric element is submerged inside the oil. Heat is transferred from the hot element to Oil. Oil molecules closer to heating element receive the heat energy and transfer it to the next layer of molecules by convection currents. The warm oil then moves upward and cool oil will come in contact with the hot element. The cycle will continue until the oil in reservoir or fins become hot. This heat energy is then transferred to the body of shell or fins. The fins would transfer the heat energy to the air coming in touch and same convection cycle will start. Oil filled Room Heater work on mixed convection, conduction, and radiation principle – Convection inside, Conduction in reservoir /fins wall and convection and radiation outside. This mix of radiation and convection eliminates the possibility of dry air due to which OFR are health friendly but they take a little more time to warm the room.
Room Heater Wattage Size CalculationI will share with you the thumb rule for calculating the heater size for your room based on room square feet. I am considering the room ceiling at 8 feet. To calculate the wattage, you can follow the following steps
- Measure the length and width of the room. Multiply them to get the square feet. A 12 feet long and 12 feet wide room have 144 square feet area.
- Take into consideration the insulation of your room
- Very good insulation correspond to consumption of 7.5 KW per square foot.
- Average insulation correspond to consumption of 10 KW per square foot
- Poor insulation correspond to consumption of 12.5 KW per square foot
- For calculation purpose, I will use the average insulation supposing room to be not very old. Therefore multiply 144 square foot with 10 i.e 1440 Watt.
- You can make slight adjustments if the ceiling is more than 8 feet by adding 25% for every 2 feet increase. Therefore if the room has a ceiling above 8 feet and up to 10 feet you need to add 25% of 1440 watt which will make it 1800 watt.
Best Room Heaters In India
Orpat OEH-1220 2000-Watt Fan Heater – Best SellerOrpat is known for its best quality Products. We have included this element Heater because this is most economically priced. Orpat OEH-122o have a Heater element of 20000 Watt and offers two heat setting i..e 1000 Watt and 2000 Watt. You can select the settings by just turning the Knob Though you can run it at its highest capacity for a longer duration, however, it is advised to turn down the temperature setting to 1000 watts as soon as your room has reached the proper temperature. The Heater element is equipped with a thermal cut which ensures its safe use for an extended period.
The Orpat element heater is made up of the cool-to-touch exterior which makes it safe to be touched even while in operation. You can move it anywhere safely while it is switched on as it comes with an inbuilt handle
- Uses a maximum of 2000 watts.
- Cool-to-touch exterior
- Thermal Cut
- 1-year manufacturer warranty.
Havells OFR – 13Fin 2900-Watt PTC Fan Heater – (Recommended)Havells India Limited is a leading manufacturer of Electric Goods and Power Distribution Equipment. They dominate the market due to their wide spectrum of products in various ranges both for Industrial and Domestic use. The Havells OFR’s are available in various wattage range and with the different number of fins. The main Features of this model are:
- Cord storage
- Rear safety cover
- Overheat protection.
- Thermostatic heat control.
- This OFR has a PTC heater with a fan for quick heating.
- Castor wheels help portability
- It has got 3 different power setting options i.e 1000/1500/2500 watts
Usha Oil Filled Radiator (3209) 2000-Watt with Over Heating ProtectionUsha OFR 3209 is equipped with a protective metal coating for safety measurement and instant heating It has got 9 numbers of powder-coated fins oil-filled radiator. It occupies very less space. Usha OFR comes fitted with the Nylon Castor wheels for easy mobility and has a metallic back cover for safety assurance.
- Produces 3-way heating.
- Three active modes 800/1200/ 2000 watt for changeover whenever temperature drops.
- Works on a 220-240 Power voltage.
- Over-heat protection.
- Nylon castor Rollers for easy movement.
- 1 year OEM Warranty
Xtreme Infrared Electric Room Heater 1800W wall or ceiling mount – (Highly Recommended)The surface of Xtreme Infrared Radiant is made up of finned type special aluminum alloy. The heater uses its aero heating element for very high heat efficiency. The Heating panel of Xtreme Infrared Room Heater is covered by a special Nano painting for creating infrared rays. Using the same process as used by nature, Xtreme Infrared gives an effect of the sun rising in the room.
- Comfortable: Do not produce any wind or light or odor.
- Energy-saving: It has high electricity-heat efficiency ratio due to good heat radiation effect.
- Reliable: The built quality is very good.
- Good for health: Good physical therapy health care for the human body.
- Less Power Consumption due to Even and Fast heating,
- Can be used indoor or outdoor.
- Wall, Ceiling & concealed mounted.
Bajaj Blow Hot 2000-Watt Room HeaterBajaj Blow Hot 2000-Watt Room Heater is very economical in use. It has got stove-enameled mild steel outer body. It is designed to give cool, warm, or hot air. This Room Heater from Bajaj has Two heating elements of 1-kilowatt each. It is fitted with a thermostat that allows maintaining the required temperature by automatically turning it off beyond a set temperature and turning it on again once the temperature falls back. Additional prevention comes from the thermal cut-off switch which prevents overheating in case of thermostat failure. The stand can be adjusted to provide warm air flow upward and downward direction. The fan is Switched on before turning on the heating element to distributes heat quickly. It has got a Neon to indicate that the heater is on.
- Two elements for setting 1000/2000 Watt.
- Auto thermal cut-off feature and Neon indicators to indicate heater on.
- 3-pin power cord having 3 core, 16 A current.
- 2 years OEM Warranty.
Usha Quartz Room Heater (3002) 800-Watt with Overheating ProtectionThis room heater from Uha is an economically designed room heater for heating the surrounding area at adjustable temperatures. To prevent overheating, The heater comes with an overheating protection switch to automatically shut it off, before overheat. Usha QH 3002 Quartz Room Heater is powder coated to prevents it from corroding. The heater can be positioned in two different ways i.e Horizontal or standing vertically as per your requirement.
- Consumes 230 volts
- Comes with an automatic shut off safety switch t
- The heating element is made of a quartz tube
- its Body has powder coating to prevents corrosion